A precautionary drinking water advisory has been issued for the Town of Leader. This advisory is for the entire community and for individuals who may access water from the public water supply. This advisory is in effect from 10:30 am October 13, until further notice.
Town employees are working on the issue, and are currently in the process of delivering the letter below to each household in the Town of Leader.
The Environmental Management and Protection Act, 2010, states consumers must be notified to:
- Boil all water, used for drinking purposes, for at least one (1) minute, at a rolling boil, prior to use;
- Boil water to be used for other activities where it may be ingested, including;(i.) brushing teeth or soaking false teeth(ii.) washing fruits and vegetables(iii.) food or drink which will not be subsequently heated; and (iv.) Ice cubes.
- Not drink from any public drinking fountains supplied with water from the public supply;
- Under most circumstances, no need to boil water used for other household purposes, such as laundry. Adults, adolescents and older children may shower, bathe or wash using tap water but should avoid swallowing the water. Dishes may be disinfected by washing in dishwashing machines that have a dry cycle or a final rinse that exceeds 45 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, 50 degrees Celsius for 5 minutes, or 72 degrees Celsius for 1 minute
- Ensure that younger children and infants are sponge bathed;
- Use an alternative water source known to be safe, if they do not wish to boil the water; and
- Consult with your physician if you have cuts or rashes that are severe before using the water.
If you require any additional information, please contact the following:
- Waterworks Owner Office 306-628-3868
- Water Security Agency- EMMS Division 306-961-8448
- Saskatchewan Health Authority - Swift Current 306-741-9850
The Town of Leader will lift the advisory when the water quality is deemed safe for consumption.