A healthy blast of snowy weather has made winter more than show up over the last week here in West Central.
The Kindersley RCMP is offering the following driving tips for the winter season:
- Scrape all the ice off your windows before driving – if you can’t see, you can’t drive safely!
- Remove all snow from your vehicle, including from your headlights, taillights and roof.
- Slow down on slippery or snowy roads.
- Be gentle and smooth when you accelerate, brake or steer.
- Using cruise control on icy or snowy roads can be dangerous! If you skid, your vehicle will accelerate and rapidly spin its wheels as it tries to maintain a constant speed.
- Before traveling, check the weather forecast for both your current location and destination. If travel can be delayed during storm warnings, do so.
- Be prepared for anything: consider stocking your vehicle with extra warm clothes, candles, matches, non-perishable snacks, a snow shovel, traction mats, booster cables and a tow rope or chain.
- If you become stranded on the highway, do not leave your vehicle! Turn on your vehicle periodically to warm up, but try to conserve fuel. Make sure your tailpipe remains clear of ice and snow, or carbon monoxide could potentially seep into your vehicle.
"We're hip deep - almost literally - into the winter driving season," said Kindersley Staff Seargeant Kevin Peterson as he shared his list.
As for the rest of the report, between November 7th to November 13th, Kindersley RCMP responded to 23 calls for service*. These calls included, but were not limited to, two sudden deaths, three suspicious person/vehicle calls, and one break and enter to the Tramping Lake Town Office.
If you have any information in regards to this break and enter, or other crimes in the area, please contact the Kindersley RCMP detachment by calling 306-463-4642 or your local police service. Information can also be provided anonymously through Saskatchewan Crime Stoppers by calling 1800-222-TIPS (8477) or submitting a tip online at www.saskcrimestoppers.com.
*For more information on the calls to service please contact the Kindersley RCMP detachment.