This weekend think about how wonderful it is to be "Made in Canada".
These plants are exclusively Canadian
- McIntosh Apples - discovered in 1811 Ontario by John McIntosh.
- Spartan Apples - first discovered in Summerland BC by RC Palmer.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes - 1966 University of Guelph.
- Shepody - the best French Fry potato was discovered in 1873 Fredricton, NB.
- Marquis Wheat - a mix of Hard Red Calcutta and Red Fife. It made Canada the largest wheat exporting nation in the world due to its quality and yield.
- Canola - developed from rapeseed in the 1970's at the University of Manitoba.
- The Canadian Shield Rose - development began in Morden MB. Research finished at Niagara Falls, Ont. The scarlet red flower is center stage in gardens everywhere.
Happy Canada Day!
Sunday July 1st in Kindersley
11am - Colour Guard Ceremony & flag raising at Baker Park
12pm - Lunch at Kindersley & District Plains Museum
until 3pm - Games at activities at the Museum including
- pin the tail on the beaver
- travel journals
- smartphone scavenger hunt
Fireworks at Dusk near the West Road ball diamonds
The Ultimate Backyard BBQ Bash
On Canada Day long weekend everyone from across the nation will be looking for creative ways to celebrate. Full of passion and pride, many Canadians will unite to wear read-and-white jerseys, watch dazzling fireworks displays and bond over a backyard barbecue.
Try corn on the cob, green peppers, asparagus or pizza on the BBQ.
Do BBQs really bring us closer together? Usually I'm at the grill alone while the kids play.. Moms are preparing a salad... and I'm flipping burgers. Just me and my fire extinguisher!
Here's a few tips to prepare the ultimate Canada Day backyard BBQ:
- Clean it ahead of time, and check for propane and Charcoal.
- Check the weather forecast.
- Choose easy recipes and plan to have options for people with allergies or restrictions.
- Use a digital BBQ meat thermometer to guarantee it's completely cooked.