Periods of light snow this afternoon and this evening will make for some interesting driving conditions. Our overnight low is -18 with a west wind it will feel like -27.
With a family day long weekend ahead of us, there will be many families taking a road trip. Here's a few things to think about before you head out on the highway:
- Plan your route in advance. Tell others which way you're going.
- Check your vehicle's battery and Block heater.
- Get your GPS or any mobile messaging system set up before you start.
- Check all seatbelts and booster seats
- Pack a roadside emergency kit.
What should be in a roadside kit? Glad you asked.
- Non Perishable food
- extra clothing and footwear
- booster cables
- candle or matches and a tin can
- first aid supplies
- and a shovel
While you are out on the roads.
- Appoint a passenger to handle the phone and maps
- Keep both hands on the wheel, don't eat!
- Fill up with gas
- Slow down in bad weather or icy roads
- Keep the phone charged, and have a car phone charger just in case
- Remember to slow to 60 km/h in a construction zone or when you meet a tow truck.
Most students will have the next week off but they may be at the playgrounds or going to school for extracurricular activities, so please drive with caution in school zones.