Crop specialists are warning producers about the growing problem of weeds that no longer respond to herbicides. They are stressing the importance of rotating different herbicide groups when treating problem weeds. Short crop rotations and a lack of crop variety are being blamed as the reason for weed resistance.
Top 10 Herbicide Resistance Management Practices
- Maintaining a database: invaluable reference.
- Strategic Tillage: if, where or when needed.
- Field and site specific weed management - one size fits all may not work.
- Weed sanitation: border control and slowing herbicide resistance dispersal.
- In crop wheat-selective herbicide rotation - combating non-target site resistance.
- Herbicide Group rotation - avoid back to back in crop Group 1 or Group 2.
- Herbicide mixtures/sequences - better then rotations.
- pre and post herbicide scouting - know your enemy.
- Competitive crops and practices that promote competitiveness. Natural biological control.
- Crop Diversity.