Forest fires in British Columbia will be affecting residents in Saskatchewan over the next several hours.
Environment Canada has issued a special air quality statement for communities in the province due to smoke from the fires creating high levels of air pollution. According to the latest reports from the weather agency, elevated pollution levels are expected to affect the area until mid-week.
Since the smoke plumes have begun deteriorating air quality in the province, residents may experience symptoms such as increased coughing, throat irritation, headaches or shortness of breath. The quality of the air could potentially take a toll on children, seniors, and those with cardiovascular or lung disease such as asthma.
If your home is not air-conditioned, be sure the house does not get too warm when doors and windows are closed to keep out smoke. Exposure to too much heat can also result in the symptoms stated above.
Below are the municipalities and areas affected by the air quality statement:
- R.M. of Antelope Park including Loverna and Hoosier
- R.M. of Biggar including Biggar and Springwater
- R.M. of Chesterfield including Eatonia and Mantario
- R.M. of Eye Hill including Macklin Denzil and Evesham
- R.M. of Grandview including Handel and Kelfield
- R.M. of Grass Lake including Salvador and Reward
- R.M. of Heart's Hill including Cactus Lake
- R.M. of Kindersley including Kindersley Brock and Flaxcombe
- R.M. of Mariposa including Tramping Lake and Broadacres
- R.M. of Marriott south of Biggar
- R.M. of Milton including Alsask and Marengo
- R.M. of Monet including Elrose Wartime and Forgan
- R.M. of Mountain View including Herschel and Stranraer
- R.M. of Newcombe including Glidden and Madison
- R.M. of Oakdale including Coleville
- R.M. of Pleasant Valley including McGee and Fiske
- R.M. of Prairiedale including Major and Smiley
- R.M. of Progress including Kerrobert and Luseland
- R.M. of Reford including Landis and Leipzig
- R.M. of Rosemount including Cando and Traynor
- R.M. of Snipe Lake including Eston and Plato
- R.M. of St Andrews including Rosetown and Zealandia
- R.M. of Tramping Lake including Scott and Revenue
- R.M. of Winslow including Dodsland and Plenty