With students about to head back to school after the break, it's important to make sure to slow down and follow all posted school zones. Here are a few reminder to ensure the safety for all students making their way back to school.
Tips for Motorists:
- Watch for children crossing the street and be sure to give them plenty of time. The roads this time of year can be icy, so it make take just a little bit longer for children to cross safely.
- Rows of cars waiting in school zones can make it harder to see a child trying to cross. Children may even dart out from in between vehicles or buses, so be sure to keep an eye out.
- Other things like exhaust from idling vehicles and large snow banks can obscure your view of children crossing the street.
- Eliminate distractions while driving such as mobile devices.
Tips for Students:
- Before crossing the street, stop and look both ways. Ensure that vehicles have come to a complete stop before stepping onto the road.
- Cross at corners or intersections.
- Never run out in traffic or between parked vehicles.
- Keep your head up, look around,be alert and aware of your surroundings.