The cold winter, along with severe windchills, are cause for frostbite warnings across the region. Over the past few days, residents have had to bundle up to protect themselves from the winter weather.
- Read More: West Central Online Weather
To prevent frostbite, make sure to cover up any exposed skin and wear proper winter clothing. When it's extremely cold, avoid being outside for extended periods of time.
Symptoms of frostbite include;
- Cold skin-with a prickly like feeling,
- After the prickly feeling the area becomes numb,
- The skin goes from red, to white, then bluish-white, followed by a pale grayish yellow colour,
- The skin will be hard with a waxy look
- Stiffness in joints causing lack of mobility
- Blistering after rewarmed.
If you believe you are suffering from frostbite, do not rub or touch the affected area and seek medical attention.
Hypothermia is another ailment caused by the cold weather. If you believe you are suffering from hypothermia, take small sips of warm liquids and warm up by wrapping up in blankets. Again, if the condition is severe, seek medical attention.