Call volumes at the Rosetown Fire Department this season have stay fairly consistent with previous years according Fire Chief Dennis Ogg.
That being said it's never a bad time to talk about some tips to ward off fire, especially in light of some of the recent preventable fires in the area.
The department believes that Tuesday mornings barn fire near Stranraer was started by a heat lamp that was being used to keep an area warm for mother dog and her puppies. He said this kind of thing is not uncommon.
"We've seen that before," Ogg said. "where the heat-lamp gets knocked or falls down into the bedding, then you have a fire."
He said some typical causes of fires in the colder months are things like space-heaters, overloaded extension chords and heat-lamps. He advised people to remain attentive when using these kinds of items.
"Just be diligent, make sure everything's secured," Ogg said. "Make sure your not running long lengths of extension chord, an extension chord laying in the straw is hazardous. Really it's just a matter of being diligent, check it regularly, look for the obvious things."
Ogg said the risk of residential fire is also increased in the cold temperatures, when people are using things like space-heaters for warmth.
"Space-heaters are really designed to be used temporarily, not for 10 to 20 hours at a time. As a space-heater gets older the chord wears and components get brittle. So again, it's a matter of being diligent."
Other than that, Ogg said people should make sure their smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order.
"If your gonna have a fire," Ogg said. "your're certainly gonna want an early warning."