It has been a hectic few days for SaskPower and Saskatchewan residents.
Accumulating frost on power lines has caused major problems with power outages being reported throughout the province over the last few days. While many homes and businesses have been without power recently, some have been left in the dark since Friday evening.
Here are a couple things to remember if power has been affected in your area:
- The frost is causing lines to fall and sag; please be safe and stay at least 10 meters away. Do not try to remove frost from the lines yourself. Lines that look damaged can still be live.
- If you’re using a generator, you need to use an installed transfer switch. Without a transfer switch, your generator will feed power back into the lines, creating a serious hazard for our personnel working to restore power.
- Never operate a generator in a house, garage or enclosed building. Doing so will put you and your family at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Traffic lights will not work so treat controlled intersections as a four-way stop.
For more information on current outages and to view updates for power restoration in your area, visit SaskPower's live outage map here.