Many of us are dreaming about warmer climates for quick relief from this extreme cold winter weather. For those fortunate enough to get away to somewhere warm, here are some vacation safety tips to protect yourself.
Personal Safety Tips:
- Check your booked flights frequently.
- Know your airline’s cancellation policy.
- Monitor weather conditions – both for the departure and destination cities
- Don’t travel with expensive jewellery – lock up personal belongings like passports and personal devices.
- Make sure your passport is up to date and is valid for time required by the country or countries visited.
- Pack any medications in their original containers and store in your carry-on bags.
- Make photocopies of your passport, credit cards, etc. and leave a copy at home with family or friends and keep a photocopy with you along with the originals stored in a separate location.
Home Safety Tips:
- Arrange for someone to pick up your mail or contact the service to store it until your return.
- Show discretion on social media, never letting folks know you are away from home.
- Ensure all doors and windows are locked.
- Use timers for lights and possibly the TV or radio.
- Turn off your water supply or have someone enter the home and check on things daily to ensure the pipes are not frozen.
- Ask a neighbor to shovel snow around your driveway and sidewalks.
- Leave blinds or curtains in normal position – don’t close them completely.
- Close and lock the garage door.