A Leader area man has entered guilty pleas to several charges stemming from sexual assaults and domestic violence offences from 2023 to 2025.
Cory Rowlandson appeared in Swift Current Provincial Court in person on Thursday morning, where pleas and submissions were entered.
Rowlandson's Medicine Hat-based lawyer, Lyndon Heidinger, entered guilty pleas to four of the numerous charges against his client, including sexual assault, assault, and breaching an absention.
A joint submission was proposed, which consisted of a 36-month custody sentence in a penitentiary and auxiliary orders, including a 20-year term on the Sex Offender Information Registration Act, a DNA order, and a 10-year firearm prohibition. He has no remand time to be credited.
Circumstances read in court
In September of 2023, the accused produced obscene videos and photos while the victim was unconscious, showing the victim's genitals and Rowlandson penetrating the victim. The complainant found the material a few days later.
Then, in December 2024, the Leader man returned home heavily intoxicated around 1 a.m., where a verbal confrontation with the complainant ensued. He admitted to slapping the victim and punching them in the head, ribs, and arms.
Additional instances of domestic, physical, and sexual violence were brought to light, including one incident in which the victim's young daughter recorded an altercation between the two and another in which Rowlandson was convicted of impaired driving with the complainant's daughter in the vehicle.
On another occasion, Rowlandson was reported to have caused a collision while drunk, and his mother told authorities she had been driving to cover for him. His alcoholism and drunken aggression were also noted.
The complainant moved out of the residence shared with the accused and ended the relationship in March 2025, and filed a police report on April 16, 2025.
The accused was put on conditions to abstain from drugs or alcohol in May 2025, and was located intoxicated by police shortly after. RCMP noted the odour of beer on him and bloodshot eyes.
In June of the same year, security cameras at the complainant's new residence showed Rowlandson's mother in the complainant's yard. When the victim returned, they found a letter from Rowlandson's mother, offering $100,000 to drop the charges against her son.
Related Stories:
- Man faces extensive list of charges in Leader provincial court
- Potential multi-day trial looms as Rowlandson case adjourned in Leader court
- Assault, theft and sexual offence cases will return to Leader court in March
Victim impact
A lengthy victim impact statement was read aloud by the complainant in court, giving a firsthand account of how the offences have affected their life.
"For a long time I felt broken and afraid," they said. "I've never given consent to be filmed sexually ever; he knew I was strongly against it, and realizing what happened left me physically ill.
"Over time, the man I trusted tore me down piece by piece, and I did not recognize the signs early on, but I now understand the trauma bond we had."
"As I continue to heal, I'm rediscovering myself," they added. "It makes me sad that I was scared to have my daughter visit the home I shared with Cory, and I often replay the events in my mind.
"I cannot control Cory's actions, but I can control my future. I will never forget what I experienced; it's a part of my story, but not my identity."
Defence comments
The defence highlighted in court that his client only had one prior entry on his criminal record from 2012. Heidinger says Rowlandson didn't have an informed view on the nature of consent at the time, and has expressed remorse over the crimes, and will be giving up significant potential income as a business owner while incarcerated.
When asked by Judge Allan Jacobson if there was anything he wanted to say, Rowlandson said, "I never thought that far into this, but I'd like to apologize to the victim."
Previously, the case seemed to be headed for trial, and a resolution offer had been made in January of this year. The victim says that to date, there have been 15 adjournments in the case.
The matter was adjourned to the morning of September 4 for sentencing. Following sentencing, Rowlandson will be taken into custody.
A publication ban is in place prohibiting the release of any identifying information about the victim.

