On August 23, 2023, at approximately 6 a.m., Rosetown RCMP along with officers from the North Battleford and Moose Jaw RCMP Crime Reduction Teams, the Saskatchewan RCMP Emergency Response Team and Combined Traffic Services Section (CTSS), executed a search warrant at a residence located on the 700 block of Herkimer Street in Rosetown in relation to an ongoing weapons investigation.
Officers secured a perimeter around the residence to ensure public and officer safety. There were no injuries sustained by anyone involved in the execution of the search warrant.
Four adults were arrested and taken into police custody without incident. One adult female was released with no charges.
A search of the residence incidental to the arrests resulted in officers locating and seizing a sawed-off shotgun, a sawed-off rifle, a large amount of ammunition, imitation firearms, hash packaged for sale, illicit cannabis, scales and packaging material.
In addition to the RCMP specialized units above, this investigation also received assistance from the Saskatoon RCMP General Investigation Section and the Saskatchewan RCMP Trafficking Response Team in Saskatoon.
As a result of this investigation, 28-year-old Brandon Hipfner, 31-year-old Andrew Ek and 23-year-old Jaiden Rosin, have each been charged with the following:
- Attempted murder while using prohibited firearm, Sec. 239(1)(a) of the CC;
- Discharge firearm with intent, Sec. 244.2 of the CC;
- Two counts, possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition, Sec. 95 of the CC;
- Unsafe storage of a firearm, contrary to Sec. 86(2) of the CC;
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm, contrary to Sec. 92(1) of the CC;
- Possession of firearm with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or removed, Sec. 108(1)(b) of the CC;
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, Sec. 88 of the CC; and
- Possession of a prohibited device, Sec. 92(2) of the CC.
Andrew Ek is facing two additional charges of possession of a weapon (firearm) contrary to an order, Sec 117.01 of the CC; and possession of a weapon (taser) contrary to an order, Sec 117.01 of the CC.
Brandon Hipfner is facing one additional charge of possession for the purpose of trafficking, Sec 5(2) of the CDSA.
Hipfner, Ek and Rosin have been remanded and are scheduled for a show cause hearing on August 28, 2023, at 10 a.m.
Rosetown RCMP would like to thank residents in the community for providing the space required to conduct a safe, thorough investigation.