Fire safety is important to teach children, however, it doesn't stop there. Many adults engage in activites daily that could be putting themselves and their family at risk.
Although seasonal decorations catch flame under the right circumstances, they are not the number one culprit when it comes to residential fires. Cigarette's and more specifically, the disposal of cigarette butts, is what Mitch Hope, Captain with the Kindersley Fire Department, says is a leading cause of house fires and one that is easily preventable.
"One of the biggest fire hazards we see, especially in the Kindersley area, are cigarette butts. People like to put their cigarettes out in planters and a lot of that potting soil is flammable and people just don't think about it," said Hope.
Smokers should always refrain from butting out in soil whether indoors or outdoors and Hope also added that even if you have a safe place to put the butts, those too require maintenance. Cans of any size, as the butts accumulate create a more flammable enviroment and can easily catch fire from a still-hot ember or cigarette butt. Hope also added that garbage cans should never be where you discard freshly finished cigarettes either for the same reasons.
Butting out isn't the only concern either, Hope stated that smoking inside while drousy has the potential to result in the person falling asleep and having the cigarette end up on fabric or another material that could catch fire.
Although the causes were not reported and may not have been because of cigarettes, last week there were two residential fires in the area prompting the unpleasant reminder to be mindful and practice proper fire safety in and out of your home.